How I Increased SEO Traffic By 160% In Just 1 Month (Using On-Page SEO Only) | SEO Case Study

Posted on Posted in SEO Case Studies

Increase Organic Traffic

I recently increased organic traffic to one of my clients’ webpages by 159.70% within 1 month using ONLY on-page techniques. This was 3 months ago and it continues to grow (screenshots to follow).

 

I was recommended to the client to increase their SEO traffic and conversion rate. Due to client confidentiality, I will refer to the company as COMPANYNAME in this case study.

 

Step 1: Audit & Strategy

I started by carrying out an audit of the site, which flagged up all of the issues with the site as well as enabling me to analyse backlink portfolio. This stage also included understanding who the target audience were and analyzing their wants and needs. The main point that was identified was the want to save money (which entails comparing prices, but also ensuring booking with a garage that they can trust will not rip them off).

 

I drew out insights from the audit and produced a strategy, I then prioritized the tasks based on effort and impact – on a spreadsheet.

 

I briefed the team on what the plan was and how we were going to achieve the SEO objectives.

 

Step 2: On-Page Optimizations

 

I started with just one page: /car-servicing/ – this page was rather vague as it covered both MOT and Servicing – this meant that it was not ranking well for either terms.  We created a new page specifically for MOT (/mot/) to allow each individual page to rank for it’s relevant keywords.

 

I carried out keyword research to identify which keywords we should be targeting, and based on a combination of monthly searches & competition chose 1 keyword to be the primary, 5 more to be secondary and a further 5 tertiary keywords. The total search volume for these servicing terms was 23,200.

 

Using this keyword research, I changed the meta tags of the page, using keyword variation. I changed the Page Title to include the primary keyword at the very start.

 

Original Meta data:

 

  • Page title: Car Servicing Repairs & MOT | COMPANYNAME
  • Meta description: Book your car service and MOT online. With COMPANYNAME we make it easy to find and book a trusted garage in your area.
  • H1: Garage Directory

 

Changed to:

 

  • Page title: Car Servicing | Compare Cheap Deals & Book Online | COMPANYNAME
  • Meta description: Save money on your car service – compare prices near you, get an instant fixed price from over 8,100 trusted garages & book online today.
  • H1: Car Servicing Garage Comparison Tool
  • Primary keyword = car servicing

 

I then updated the content on the landing page to include the primary keyword within the first 50 words, as well as naturally including ‘car servicing’ in the copy 5 times. I also added the secondary keywords into the text an average of 3 times each. Again these were all added in to occur naturally in the text (no keyword stuffing)

 

After 1 month we tracked the change in Google Analytics. The landing page received a 159.70% increase in clicks, compared with the previous month with an improved CTR of 51.37%. The bounce rate was also improved by 17.86% and the average position improved from rank 19 to 14.

*The Average Position decline is a positive – the lower the position, the higher the page is in the SERPs (position no. 1 is at the top!).

This was back in October and the below Google Analytics screenshot is a comparison of organic traffic to the same page in January, compared with December – 131.45% increase in clicks! Note all of the metrics have now started to improve across the entire site as I have since worked on optimizing all of BookMyGarage’s main pages. You’ll notice the bounce rate is showing as 0% now…still trying to get to the bottom of this, but not too worried as it can’t be a bad thing – any ideas please leave a comment below!

I also did a lot of conversion rate optimization across the website, hence the 138% increase in goal completions on this page (and 95% increase site-wide).

 

Running a search in Google, the /car-servicing/ page is now on page 1 for all of the chosen keywords (primary and secondary) – position 2 for ‘car service deals’. Pretty good for just 3 months and absolutely no link-building!

 

NB: The first 4 results are PPC ads which are not included when looking at rankings.

 

It is worth pointing out that this page has a ‘page authority’ of just 1 (Moz screenshot below)…

Page Authority 1

 

…and has only 1 backlink to date. The Ahrefs screenshot shows the backlink profile and the graph depicts the total number of backlinks over the past 6 months – no new backlinks whatsoever!

 

No New Backlinks

 

 

UPDATE: March 3rd 2017

 

We have now overtaken Groupon to position number 1!

SEO Rank 1

 

Below is a couple of more examples of the page ranking number 1 for it’s other target keywords:

 

SERP Rank 1

 

 

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

One thought on “How I Increased SEO Traffic By 160% In Just 1 Month (Using On-Page SEO Only) | SEO Case Study

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *